Wednesday, August 21, 2013

San Diego - Day 1

Christian and I set out for San Diego on Friday afternoon.  I could not have been more excited because I've never been anywhere in San Diego and since he had grown up there, I've heard so many wonderful things about the city.


Christian's dad Jay picked us up from the airport in San Diego.  After we got settled at his house, we took his dog Matty to the dog park near Balboa Park.



We walked around Balboa Park for a while and Jay and Christian showed me everything there is to see.  Balboa Park is a great place for culture.  There are all kinds of museums and theaters.  The architecture is beautiful and its a real sight to be seen.  We walked near the zoo and the botanical gardens too, but didn't go into either.



After we left the park, we went to one of Christian's favorite happy hour spots, El Camino in Little Italy.  It had a great outdoor patio with planes flying right over it.  The happy hour specials were awesome and while the margaritas were good, the salsa was out of this world!  I'm usually not one for salsa (I prefer guacamole) but I had dreams about this salsa.  It's definitely a must in San Diego.



We picked up some dinner to-go at a place Christian and his family have loved for years, Saffron.  I had only had Thai food once before, but I loved it.  Especially the drunken noodles, but the Pad Thai was good too.  It's just a little hole-in-the-wall type place, but it's owned by a pretty famous chef and is a great place if you like Thai.

Since we only had the afternoon and evening, it was kind of a low-key day.  We ended the night watching one of Jay's favorite movies, Body Heat.  His dog Matty is named after Kathleen Turner's character.  Surprisingly, I fell asleep during the movie, which never happens, and called it a night before 10:00.

Follow Me!
Bloglovin | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

1 comment:

  1. I am making a mental note of both of these restaurants :)

    ReplyDelete