Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pure Barre, 5 Classes In

This morning, I completed my fifth Pure Barre class this week...and ever!  Since I only have 2 weeks of unlimited classes, I'm trying to get in the studio as many times as my body can handle!


Before my first class on Sunday, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  I assumed the class would be chalk full of girls around my age (and I was right).  I assumed it would be hard work (and I was right).  I assumed my butt and thighs would be incredibly sore on Monday morning and I was SO wrong.  No, Monday morning, I could hardly get out of bed because my upper abs were dead.  It hurt to sneeze, to cough, to laugh, even to turn around.


I went back on Monday evening and noticed the instructor (who was the same as Sunday afternoon) only corrected my form once instead of a handful of times.  I was already making progress!  I struggled with the portion of class that focused on the core, just because I didn't think my poor abs could take much more.  (That's a lot of rhyming!)


On Tuesday morning, I woke up less sore than the day before.  All day, I couldn't wait to get to class.  Tuesday's class was a little easier because I seemed to have the general form down, but that also made it a little harder because I was really focused on isolating my muscles and squeezing them to work harder.  After class, I bought some equipment and two DVDs.  {Mile High and 16th Street}

I took Wednesday off, because I usually have boot camp, but we were out celebrating my sister's birthday instead.  I was back in the studio on Thursday evening and it seemed like right after I parked my car, I lost all energy.  Thursday was another different instructor and she was fantastic.  I loved her energy and she was just the motivation I needed to work hard.  My first three classes had been very similar, mixing up one or two sections with different moves, but I felt like Thursdays class had a lot of new things.  And it was HARD!


On Friday, I stayed home again, but did one of my new videos, Mile High.  The work out was actually only about 35 minutes long, even though the DVD case says it's 45.  It's a lot of the same moves I've seen in class, but it cut out the arm section that we do in class with free weights and, so far, every class I've been to has ended with some extra work in a bridge position.  It was still good though and made me sweat about 35 minutes worth.  I was wondering why it was called Mile High.  It was filmed in Denver...duh! 

 
I did my fifth class this morning.  I also saw a guy in the studio for the first time, as the 8:30 class cleared out.  Class this morning was tough and I know my thighs are really working hard every day I'm there, which is exactly what I need.  I got a tall iced soy chai after class this morning.  I can't wait to start my second week on Monday!

I really like going to the studio, but it's not ideal to drive 20-30 minutes (depending on traffic) multiple times a week.  I can score a sweet deal for new clients for 30 days of unlimited classes for just $100 and after that, I'll probably buy 20 classes at a time and go once a week and do the videos a couple of days at home.

Needless to say, I'm a Pure Barre convert.  I still love going to Christian's boot camp on Wednesdays, walking multiple times a week, and yoga, spinning, and swimming occasionally.  But Pure Barre seems to be designed for exactly how I want to change my body.  I want to burn fat, and lengthen, strengthen, and tone my muscles.

Pure Barre is in 35 states and DC.  Look here to see if there's a studio near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment