Monday, August 16, 2010

Oh, Oh It's Magic!

Get ready.  This may be a long one.

I made it at Disney!  I was incredibly impressed with the efficiency of the process.  I thought it would take forever, but it all went off quite quickly.  It was awesome!  Before going to my new apartment, I decided to stop at Chick-fil-a.  Never going back.  Ever.  Terrible food.  So I got over it and went to move in.  

One of my three roommates was there, so I met her--Lexi.  While I was taking my stuff from my car to my room, I met another one--Kandy.  They both seemed really nice!  Thank goodness.  We had to go to the bus stop within the next hour or so in order to go to the casting building for all of our check in and business stuff.  Once again, I was surprised by their organization and efficiency.  There were so many people there and with everything we had to do, its quite incredible that it was over in two hours.  After that, most kids were free for the rest of the evening.  However, as a life guard I had to go take my test.  I tried to go to Target in between, but I got lost on the Disney property and gave up, so I just went about an hour early to the testing sight.  

Slowly, other kids started to trickle in and there were probably about 20 or 25 total.  I started to get really nervous talking to the other kids who said they were life guards or on the swimming team, etc.  We had to do a vision test, the 200 yard swim test, the surface dive to retrieve the 10 pound brick, and the 2 minute tread.  I was a little skeptical about the vision test even, but I had to read "TEAM IMPROVEMENT" or something of the sort.  No big deal.  Then I got nervous for the swim test.  But I pushed through for the 4 laps (8 pool lengths), knowing I could do it and knowing a job at Disney was at the end.  I finished!  After that, they said we had to go feet first all the way down to the bottom of the pool, which is not how I was taught before, so I got nervous again.  But it turned out to be easier than I thought.  Finally, the tread.  My weakness.  It was really helpful that the guy giving the test talked to us and asked us a lot of questions (that only required raising your hand), because the time went by a lot quicker.  When he said, "Okay, let's count down from 1000." I started to get tired and thought there was no way I could finish.  Thinking, surely if I stop only 30 seconds before I'll still be able to life guard somewhere at least.  Well, he said, "999, 998...okay, you're done."  Thank God I stuck with it!  I'm super proud of myself.  There were probably at least five people that couldn't even complete one of the three things, so I'm super happy I finished.

We got our job assignment.  I'll be at Pop Century Resort and Caribbean Beach Resort.  I'm excited for that because I've never been to either.  One of the guys I tested with will also be starting there, so at least I kind of know someone.

After the test, two of the other girls--Jenna and Abbey--and I went out to dinner at Panera.  We got a little lost, but now I just know where some other stuff is.  Turns out the restaurant was actually only a five minute drive from where we live, but it took us about twenty minutes.  After that, I had to go to Target to get sheets!  I would have waited until the next day, but I needed to sleep on something!  So after I finished there, I got back super excited to have bedding and a router for our internet.  Well, of course I left the bag with the router--and shampoo and conditioner, pillow cases, razors, etc--in it at Target.  That's when I had my freak out session.  Luckily it was no problem getting it back and everything was fine.  It was definitely a long day.

I had to go to a housing presentation in the morning.  It was longer than I expected, but it was obviously a lot of useful information about our complexes, the rules, the perks, etc.  Of course right when we got out it started to pour so nobody wanted to walk back.  The presentation was at the international students' complex, so none of us lived there.  That was fun.  The girls I was with, fortunately, called their roommate to come pick us up.  So that was nice to not have to walk back or wait any longer.  I don't know if I can get used to this kind of rain...

I hit up Panera for lunch again.  I think I might be spending a lot of time there in the coming months.  It's delicious.  After lunch, I drove out to see my friend Kristen.  She and her sister bought me a birthday balloon and a birthday cake, which was so sweet--and delicious.  We hung out for a while before I decided to go back and do some grocery shopping.  That ended up taking longer than I expected and I couldn't believe how much it cost!  I actually bought some stuff for my room, including a wire shelf that I kind of, sort of put together by myself.  Nothing too heavy is on the shelves, so hopefully it'll stay up.  That was a real pain trying to put it together.  But after that, I organized my room and tried to unpack some of the stuff I brought.  Still left some stuff packed though.  Oy.  It's a bigger project than you would think.  Finally, I called it a night and turned in early.  (You can see my full closet organization here.)

This one was an early day!  I had to be at the bus stop at 6:45AM in order to go to Disney University for our Traditions class.  This was just a half day, professional dress seminar about Disney and some of the professional expectations.  The presentation was FANTASTIC!  It's so much easier to sit there and listen to people who are enthusiastic about their topic and really good at what they do.  The presentation was seemingly flawless, and even had a few surprises, that of course I can't share with you all.  Sorry!  It made getting all of that information so much easier.  And we finally got our official name tags!  Yippie!

After that, I ended up going to Animal Kingdom with the kid I'll be working with at Pop Century and two of his roommates.  It started to pour just as we were leaving our apartments, so we all got soaked on the way to the bus stop.  We decided to just go to Hollywood Studios, but we had just missed that bus and Animal Kingdom's bus was coming, so we stuck with our original plan.  Well, along the route, about 5 to 10 minutes from the park, the bus broke down.  Something with the tire, but not positive if it was a flat or something else.  It took about 45 minutes for another bus to come and those poor kids were all late for their shifts.  We rode Dinosaur in Dinoland, USA right away.  I'm iffy on this one.  I hate stuff like that, but I think I need to give it another chance.  Just one more.  We rode Expedition Everest next.  It was my first time on that one and I LOVED it.  If you like rollercoasters, you have to go to this one in Animal Kingdom and Rock 'n Rollercoaster in Hollywood Studios.

We didn't stay much longer.  Everyone was tired because we had to be up so early that morning, so we went back to the complex.  I fell asleep for a little bit before one of my roommates got back.  We decided to order pizza, and the other two trickled in.  I finally met the fourth roommate.  Well, I had met her the first night, but it was pitch black and I couldn't really see her.  So finally we were all acquainted!  YAY!

Another early day.  But not quite as early as the day before.  Also another dress up day.  Thank goodness for all those professional clothes I got for my last job.  Phew!

We had to catch an early bus to Disney University again.  It was another half day, but this time we only worked on the computers.  We had a bunch of computer modules to complete in order to learn the business a little better.  It went by pretty quickly, and once again they made the whole thing a little easier by being interactive and creative.  It definitely helps with learning boring material.  I also got a handy dandy lanyard for my IDs.  Had to get the 101 Dalmatians one since my mom had to steal my Lucky shirt in order to wash it in the middle of the night.

I headed back to my apartment after I completed the classes.  My roommate, Lexi, and I decided to go see The Other Guys at Downtown Disney.  It was a pretty funny movie, but really confusing and just kind of strange.  I laughed out loud quite a bit though.  I would say go see it cheap, or rent it.  We walked around Downtown Disney for a little bit before we headed back.

That night we had a pool party at another one of the complexes.  It was sort of a welcome party for everyone.  The theme was In the Jungle, so some characters from the Jungle Book were there.  One of my friends through life guarding, Jenna, and I met a number of new people--mostly from other countries like France and Turkey.  There are a lot of international kids here right now, but I guess they all go back to their countries this month to start school again.  This is only a summer job for them.  Darn!  The pool party was pretty fun though.  Unfortunately it was only two hours, so at 8:00 sharp they kicked everyone out so they could clean up.

It was my last early day and my last dress up day.  I finally got to go to the place I'll be working--Caribbean Beach Resort and Pop Century Resort.  We did a number of welcome things, more orientation type stuff, and tours of both resorts.  At the end of the day, we got our costumes.  This is going to be interesting.  I have to wear my shirt and shorts at all times, so hello farmer's tan!  Luckily, they said I can wear my Chacos, so that will be a cool tan line.  (And I'll beat you, Kristen!  ...We have a competition to see who can get the best Chaco tan.  We're both losing.)

Of course our training got over about 10 minutes after the bus came, so we all had to wait for about 45 minutes as it started pouring.  On the bus, I met some more international kids.  One from Spain and one from Mexico.  It was interesting listening to them speak in Spanish.  Once or twice they had to stop because one used a word the other didn't know.  It was kind of cool.  I want to be bilingual...

After an accidental nap, Lexi and I decided to go see the last night of Summer Nightastic.  It's a special fireworks show at Cinderella's Castle at Magic Kingdom.  It's been going on all summer, but starting August 14 I guess they're going back to the regular show.  If I've seen the fireworks before, I don't remember.  (Sorry, Mom.)  It was fantastic.  I couldn't stop smiling and I probably even oohed and ahhed.  Who knows.  I loved it!  I feel so lucky that I get to be here for so long!

And...I had Saturday and Sunday off.  Amazing.  Finally, here are some pins that I got so I can start trading.  (Sadly we can't have them on when we work.)  From left to right: Pop Century Resort, Mickey Mouse from Fantasia, and Belle from Beauty & the Beast.

No comments:

Post a Comment