Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Birthday Brunch & Baseball

In July, Rachel celebrated her 24th birthday.  We went to Root Down for brunch that weekend for the occasion.  It was the first time any of us had been there--my mom, Rachel, Travis, and me--and it was a hit!


We had a reservation, but we actually got seated on the patio before our reservation.  It's a pretty hipster place, and I actually spotted my first hipsters!  Mom and Travis ordered traditional (bottomless) mimosas, and Rachel got a blood orange (bottomless) mimosa.  I got blood orange juice.


The food was also delicious!  I had steak and eggs--which were a little eggy for my taste, but the steak was amazing!  I got a side of avocado and sweet potato fries.  Both Rachel and Travis got lamb sliders with sweet potato fries.  Mom had an omelet with a side of greens.  We were all stuffed and satisfied after we finished eating.  The cool thing about Root Down is it always uses local ingredients, so the menu is ever-changing.


My gift to Rachel was tickets to the Rockies-Brewers game earlier that weekend.  It was just the two of us and I scored some awesome seats on club level along the first baseline.  They were facing the sun and there was some awkward rain, but the game was so much fun.  And the Rockies won!


Happy birthday to Rachel!


Last weekend, I had a big birthday: 21!  The day after my birthday, my dad took the family out for a celebration!  We went to Denver again for brunch, but this time did baseball on the same day!


This time we ate at Snooze.  Unlike Root Down, this place does not take reservations, and we had a near 2 hour wait.  It was worth every second!  They some seating outside along the street under an overhang in order to wait.


While waiting, Rachel got drinks for her, Travis, and me.  (YAY being legal!)  This baby was delicious.  The Snooze Hi-C, made with St. Germaine and other yummy stuff.


I also opened some presents while we were waiting.  My aunt, uncle, and cousin got me some accessories from a new place called Charlie Girl.  They got me a black lace scarf, which is gorgeous, two pairs of earrings, and a necklace.  My aunt told me that my little (male) cousin picked out some of it.  I asked if I could hire him on as my stylist!  My dad and step-mom got me a scrapbook from the first chapter of my life (at least through high school).  My step-mom scrapbooks a lot so it was top-of-the-line.  I love it!  (Thanks, family!)


Since it was my birthday, they sent out a cinnamon roll pancake, which was pretty good, but we all had some.  I ordered a Bloody Mary for (obviously) the first time.  It was a little spicy for my taste, but it was good otherwise.  I also ordered Eggs Benedict for the first time.  They were so good, but the kind that Rachel ordered were a lot better!  Their bacon was to die for too.  They have a handful of locations, including one coming next month to a location much closer to us!


In the parking lot, we took turns applying sunscreen.  We decided that the menfolk were terrible sunscreen applicators because they never go under the tank top straps, so when the clothes shift, you get burned!  Am I right, ladies?


The restaurant, funnily enough, was actually right next to the lot where my dad usually parks for Rockies games.  Who knew?!  We walked over to the field a little early just to hang out.


The Rockies were playing the Nationals.  Despite winning by a lot on Saturday night, they lost their fourteenth straight Sunday afternoon game by one run.  It was a little bit of a bummer.


We had a humorous photo shoot while we were waiting for the game to start.  We didn't want to go down to our seats just yet, because they were directly in the sun!  They were just beyond the third baseline.  The usher told us we would be in the shade by the fourth inning, but I guess the sun was on its own time because we weren't in the shade until the bottom of the seventh.  Worth it though.  Despite all the sweat!


Again, before the game started, Rachel, Travis, and I went over to The Sandlot, a bar and smokehouse at the park for some drinks.  This bartender looked a little puzzled at my "UNDER 21" ID that I still have.  One thing I discovered that weekend, I like dark beer better than light.  I'm also still searching for my signature drink.


All of these pictures are from Rachel camera, however, I took a handful of them.  And by the way, I've been to a game almost every month this season.  I saw them beat the Padres in May, beat the Tigers in June, beat the Brewers in July, and lose to the Nationals in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment