Friday, January 03, 2014

How Does She Do It?

If you've been reading my blog for a while or follow me on Instagram, you probably already know that I foster kittens for the humane society. I just take the little ones home for a few weeks and give them some TLC and fatten them up so they can find their forever homes. I've been doing it since 2009 and I absolutely love it. In over four years, I've fostered around 40 kittens and each of them has a special place in my heart. I just want to add before I continue, that I'm not writing this post to toot my own horn, but I just want to speak to why I do this.


I started fostering kittens during a very difficult time in my life. I already had two cats that were fully grown and no longer lap cats and I wanted another cat just to have a kitten to play with. Instead of being promoted to crazy cat lady status with three cats, I opted to foster kittens instead. It was the perfect alternative, I would have cute, furry kittens for a few weeks and then trade them in for smaller, cuter kittens. My first group were Charlie, Dexter, and Little Bear and as much good as I did for them, they did much more for me. Animals are great like that. Sometimes they save you without even trying.

Over the years, I've been asked countless times how I can give them back after growing to know and love them throughout their stay with me. Yes, getting younger, smaller kittens helps a little, but the truth is, I just have to have faith. I have faith that the humane society finds them loving homes. I have to think that the kittens are going to a home where they will be properly cared for, showered with love and attention, and they'll be indoor cats and keep their claws. (I'm extremely against declawing cats--just trim their nails--and outdoor cats can meet untimely and horrible ends.) I just remind myself that each one of those kittens is being loved on right now and maybe even turned someone's life around the way some of those kittens have done for me.

 
Imagining each of my kittens in a warm and loving home keeps me going from litter to litter. I hope some of my kittens have made a great first pet for little girls dreaming of having a pet cat, maybe even getting a kitten for a birthday or Christmas. I hope some of my kittens have eased the passing of another pet and lifelong friend a little easier for someone. I hope my kittens have all grown up to be lap cats and sleep on the corner of their owner's bed. Maybe one day one of my kittens will become my next pet, but for now, I just seek the joy in watching the babies grow and play and learn. It's my own little way of giving something back.

 

4 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! My son and I just adopted a 2 month old kitten who had been being fostered by a local woman and so going through the process of looking for a kitten opened my eyes to those who are fosters for animals. It is such a great and needed thing that you're doing! Those little kitties you've had the pleasure of fostering are soo sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thing you are doing for those kittens! Props to you! :)

    Lindi
    Sweet Southern Sparkle
    www.sweetsouthernsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome! I wish we could foster dogs but we already have two and there a hot mess on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! What a sweet way to love on some precious kittens :) I don't know how you don't keep them all!!

    ReplyDelete