Friday, November 25, 2011

The Windy City - Day 3

Austin had to head downtown Saturday morning for work, so Julie, Colin, and I took advantage of the opportunity to sleep in.  After some pancakes and orange juice, we hopped on the CTA to go downtown ourselves.  We had a little mix up with transportation, so we ended up walking down State Street which was quite alright.  We were able to stop for our daily Starbucks.

While walking down the main part of the street, two guys stopped us (we don't think they saw Colin with us) to ask where we got our "cups".  "Starbucks," we replied.  They then asked us where the nearest one was, but we ended up talking to them for about ten minutes.  We were supposed to meet Liz and Krista at the State Street Library, but since we got held up by the walking and then the strangers, we missed them at the library.  However, we were able to meet up with Austin there.

The plan was to head over to Millennium Park to see the famous bean.  Julie and I had been there when we first arrived in Chicago last time we were there, but everything is just so different from summer to fall/winter, so we had to go again.

Austin, Colin, Julie, & Me

Me & Julie

Me, Julie, Austin, & Colin

Julie & Me
(Another Chicago tradition.)

 Julie & Me

 Austin & Colin

The original plan was to go back to the apartment and cook some stuff for dinner, but while we were heading to the train, Austin said "Chinatown is just two stops that way, should we go?"  So we did!  And I'm so glad.  He took us to a restaurant he had been to before, Lao Beijing, and it was amazing.  Best Chinese food ever.  We each picked an entree and just shared the four.  And we got potstickers.

Julie & Me

We were all pretty tired after that, so we went back to the apartment.  Julie and I had told Krista we would head over to her house that evening for a get together she was having with friends from college and Devin was going to hang out with Colin and Austin for the night.

Julie and I braved the CTA by ourselves (for the second time ever!) and took the bus to Krista's.  We had to take two, and there was a 17 minute wait between the two and it was very cold and very windy, so we headed inside this little Mexican place that the bus stop was in front of called Tony's Burrito Mex.  We decided to get some chips & guacamole while we were waiting and it was probably the best decision either of us have ever made.  It was hands down the best guacamole I've ever tasted!


Krista's house was a lot of fun.  Liz, Julie, and I were all in the same boat, only knowing each other.  But Krista's friends were very nice and really easy to talk to.  We had a lot of fun.  Towards the end of the night, Julie and I cabbed it back to Austin's apartment.  Our cab driver was so friendly!  He told us his whole life story, which was very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment