Monday, December 24, 2012

Melting Snowman Sugar Cookies

I've seen these before around the internet and I couldn't wait to make them.  Finally, I had the perfect opportunity for our family Christmas.


I'll admit, I just used store-bought sugar cookie dough to save me some time.  I had gotten a lot of orders at my in-home bakery and I wanted a bit of a break on baking.  I rolled the dough out to about 1/8 of an inch thick and used a circular cookie cutter to cut them.  Since they turned out so big, I was only able to make 15 cookies.

Royal Icing:
  • 1 1/2 cup powder sugar
  • 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon milk
  • 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
  • 2 drops lemon juice
Sift the powdered sugar into a medium-sized bowl.  Add milk, corn syrup, and lemon juice.  Hand mix until desired consistency is reached.  If icing is still dry, add milk 1/2 teaspoon at a time.

Note: Recipe modified from {here}.  The lemon juice is added to bring out the sweetness of the sugar and doesn't make the icing taste like lemons.  This made exactly the right amount of frosting for my 15 larger cookies.

Add one marshmallow to the edge of each cookie.  Using black frosting in a tube, add the faces to each marshmallow.  Use orange frosting in a tube to add the carrot nose.  Then use canned frosting--your choice of color--to add the scarves.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  Using again the black frosting, add the three buttons and the twig arms.  Again, it doesn't have to be perfect since they're melting!  I went in this order so I wouldn't mess anything up I had already done.  Also, I wanted all of my snowmen to look terrified that they're melting.

Enjoy!  And have a wonderful Christmas!

Follow me on Instagram @HannahLarson42.
And don't forget you can like Hannah, Here! on Facebook, {here}

2013's crop:


2014's crops:


1 comment:

  1. How cute! My little boy would love, very into snowmen this year;) Thanks for sharing on Kelly's Korner!

    ReplyDelete